- Well, we are now into spring!
- THE RISING OF MUSIC'S NEW DAWN In July, I commenced as the founding Music Editor of Quadrant, one of Australia's oldest literary magazines. For some time, I have been concerned by the state of Australian art music and its associated industries and institutions. In order to secure and advance Australian art music's future, it seems vital to me to establish a new platform that allows for a considered, objective and free discussion of ideas. This, then, is Quadrant Music in a nutshell. Submissions to Quadrant Music are open year-round. All contributions are remunerated. Pitches are preferred to draft manuscripts. Quadrant can be purchased through subscription or in-store at most newsagents nation-wide.
- THE VOICE TO PARLIAMENT
- I have been campaigning as an individual against the Voice to Parliament referendum for some months now, and have compiled for those interested what I think are some of my best writings on the matter:
- • “There’s something off about the Voice” (The Spectator Australia, 24 May 2023). Read article.
- • “Young Australians must vote down the Indigenous Voice's 'emotive' and 'abstract' rhetoric unless they want it to come back and haunt them” (Sky News Australia, 15 July 2023). Read article.
- • “Uluru Statement from the Heart's full 26-page version gives Australians a window into the totalitarian dystopia it envisages” (Sky News Australia, 3 September 2023). Read article.
- In the lead up to 14 October, I intend to continue publishing various analyses on the Voice and related matters. It is a tremendous luxury to be able to write for Sky News Australia, The Spectator Australia and The Epoch Times.
It was a joy, as part of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s 2022 Composer Commissioning Fund, to finally close out Stradella Suite, which Fisarmonica Amici recorded in Brisbane for ABC Classic at the beginning of last month. The suite of six movements for stradella accordion trio totals approximately thirty-three minutes and includes, among other forms, a waltz, tango and polka. My thanks go to Fisarmonica, Stephen Adams, Lucas Burns, Costa Zouliou, and all other personnel from the ABC involved in Stradella Suite’s generation. After a furious period, I have completed a major work for orchestra, approximately nineteen minutes in length. The work is currently bound overseas to be judged in a competition.
My Gloria has undergone some revisions after its Easter premiere. It is now scored for timpani as well as chorus. My thanks to Dr Graeme Morton AM and St John's Cathedral, Brisbane for supporting these revisions.
In May, concert pianist and friend Catherine Broadstock (née Lynagh) and I performed a concert of Australian piano music and poetry as part of the 2023 4MBS Festival of Classics. So successful was this concert that we independently toured it to Bundaberg, where we were warmly received. Catherine and I intend to further develop what seems to us to be an exciting artistic model – that is, the recitation of verse to piano music. Thank you for reading, Alexander Copyright © A. D. K. Voltz 2023. All rights reserved.